Almond butter is delicious and healthy but it can be expensive and processed when you buy it from the store. This is a simple and easy almond butter recipe. A perfect nutritious snack that can be enjoyed with fruits, bread or baked goods!
Prep time: 10Cook time: 10Total time: 2
Author: Eleni Karatzia Cuisine: Vegan, Spread Course: Snack Servings: Yields 1 cups
2 cups almonds
2 tablespoons flaxseeds
3/4 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F.
2. On a large baking sheet, spread the almonds in an even layer. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes until the almonds turn slightly brown. Be careful not to burn the almonds.
3. Add the flax seeds in the food processor and process until ground.
4. Once your almonds are roasted, transfer them to the food processor (if your food processor is not heat resistant allow the almonds to cool). Process for 10-15 minutes, scraping down the sides if necessary. The almonds will get clumpy at some point because they will start to release their oils. But don’t worry, just keep processing until the almond butter becomes smooth. It might even take up to half an hour depending on the size and power of your food processor. If you want your almond butter to be more creamy and liquidy, continue to process until it reaches your desired consistency.
5. Once it reaches your desired consistency you can add the salt (see notes for more options*) and process it for one more 1 minute.
6. Transfer the butter to an airtight container. Store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
*Storage: Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
*To make it crunchy: Place ½ cup of almonds to the food processor and run it until you get small chunks. Remove the chunks and set aside. When the almond butter is ready, add the chopped nuts and process until it’s combined.
*You can use raw almonds: But it will take more time to make the almond butter.
*To sweeten it: 1-2 tsp maple syrup.
*To add more flavour: 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Here's a breakdown of the nutrition information. Hope you find it helpful!
Serving size: 1 teaspoon Calories: 28 Fat: 2.4 g Saturated Fat: 0.2 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 43 mg Carbohydrates: 1.1 g Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g Sugar: 0.2 g Protein: 1 g